History of Chewton Glen
Documents detailing land and premises known as "Chewton Glen House" were produced in 1732, at which time the building on the present site of the hotel may have been in existence. The proportions of the building suggest a date in the early 18th century.
Chewton Glen has a famous literary link; Capt. Frederick Marryat stayed for periods during the 1840s and gathered material for his famous novel "The Children of the New Forest". Clearly, the Captain was much attracted to the New Forest and it is appropriate that the hotel has many of its rooms named after The Children of the New Forest and his other of his novels and characters.
Captain Marryat must have found the area inspiring, on the edge of the New Forest and within easy reach of the sea attracting smugglers to bring their contraband from the Continent up through the grounds and into the forest beyond. Marryat's brother, George, owned the property from 1837 until 1855, when it was sold to the Elphinstone family.
Between 1947 and 1967 the property had three different owners, and it was the Duval family who first made it into a hotel. The Skan family purchased the hotel in January 1966 and transformed it into its current guise as an English country house hotel. The Skan family sold the hotel in 2007 to private owners who were previously long standing guests of the hotel.
Through until the present day, Chewton Glen has continued to develop winning countless national and international awards and accolades. From being an author's forest retreat to being voted the "Best Country Hotel in the World" is an astonishing history!